Thus, The Dedication File
Verse 57, The Priority Entry
1. Yahweh is my portion: The word is chāleq
and means a chosen portion or share.
This is how priority dedication expresses itself – devotion to God’s word.
Verse 58, The Humility Entry
1. I entreated your favor: The verb is chAlAh as a piel
perfect means to appeasingly seek favor and acceptance. This is seeking God on
HIS terms. The word, favor, is literally, faces and refers to the many
character expressions of God toward His people.
2. be gracious to me: The verb is chAnan as an
imperative, and means to express grace. The command is once again, the
humility expression of dependence on God.
A. Wisdom + love = the divine attitude of compassion (rAchum).
Psalm 5:12, “You surround him (the righteous one) with
favor as with a shield.”
At Psalm 103:17-18, the word, lovingkindness (chesed) is a summary word for the actual resources for living the quality of life God wants us to live. It should be translated as – grace provision.
“The grace provision of Yahweh is from everlasting to everlasting on those who FEAR HIM.” That is, those who express humility dependence on Him.
3. according to your word: the word is
’imrAh and simply
refers to God’s revealed truth.
Verse 59, The Correction Entry
Verse 60, The Obedience Entry
When the believer makes the necessary corrections in his life, the result will be a more consistent obedience to divine standards. The verb, shAmar is used 3 times in this entry.
hastened and did not delay: the pairing of synonymous ideas expresses
emphasis, urgency and immediacy.
2. to keep your commandments: the verb is shAmar again as a qal infinitive plus LE – for the intent of; the purpose of . . . guarding, keeping.
areas of NEED are discovered in your life, you need to meet those needs by
DOING God’s word.
This believer expressed diligence and consistency to make the needed changes discovered from the examination of his life.
Verse 61, The Persecution Entry
1. The cords of the wicked have encircled me.
Wicked is rAshA again to refer to the spiritual rebels of
verse 53; the ones who forsake God’s law.
B. They reproach: verses 39 and 42
C. Verbal attack from the arrogant: Verse 51
D. The spiritual rebels seek to neutralize, verse 61
E. The arrogant have forged a lie. Verse 69, 78, 86
F. The arrogant have dug pits. Verse 85
G. They attempt to neutralize both physically and morally. Verse 87
H. They are just waiting and looking for opportunities. Verse 95
I. They have laid a snare. Verse 110
J. Princes persecute him. Verses 23, 161
2. I have not forgotten your law: The verb is shAkach as
a qal perfect to indicate continued reliance on the viewpoint of truth for
personal stability and testimonial impact.
A. Recognize human viewpoint and the “religious” approach to persecution. 1 Cor. 13:3
B. Failure to use truth in persecution pressure results in misery and fear. Psalm 6:6-7.
C. Psalm 63:1-11 records the result of using truth in the face of persecution.
D. 1 Peter 4:12-14, Happiness (blessed) results from
handling persecution with the right attitude
Verse 62, The Worship Entry
1. At midnight I shall rise: on occasion, in the middle of the night, he is awakened from sleep and his mind is immediately focused on God’s word. He has probably trained his body to wake up for a PLANNED time of worship. This is indicated by the infinitive of the verb, TO give thanks. There is a PURPOSE for his rising.
The word, rise, is qum as a qal imperfect. It is simple
action and does not need to be translated as a FUTURE. Thus, simply, I rise.
2. To give you thanks: The verb is yAdAh as a hiphil infinitive and means to express thanks. The basic meaning of the verb is to throw or even shoot. Thanksgiving and worship is “throwing” toward God that which He merits and deserves by virtue of being God; His character and plan.
3. because of your righteous judgments: The preposition
is, al – upon, based on, for – indicates the reason for worship.
Verse 75, Your judgments are righteous. Deuteronomy 32:4; 1 Chronicles 29:11-13
Verse 63, The Friendship Entry
1. I am a companion of all those who fear you: The verb, yAr’ā indicates reverence and respect. The fear of the Lord is the basic humility attitude that places the divine priority as the most important thing in life.
This attitude mutually shared by believers is the only real basis for true fellowship and friendship.
See Topic: Fear of the Lord
2. and of those who keep your precepts. The verb is
shAmar again. Precepts is piqqudh and refers to that which has been gathered
and appointed as standards for God’s people.
As such, it becomes the visible basis for establishing Christian friendship and experiencing mutual Christian fellowship.
Verse 64, The Study Entry
The only way to benefit from God’s grace resources is to learn His word. Those resources are known only through His word.
1. The earth is full of your grace provision: God makes
his resources available to the world, but of course, access to and utilization
of them is based on God’s terms.
SUMMARY OF THE DEDICATION FILE
1. Verse 57, The Priority Entry: The divine priority recognizes that the most important thing in life is to keep God’s word.
2. Verse 58, The Humility Entry: Humility dependence on God is the basis for experiencing His grace resources.
3. Verse 59, The Correction Entry: The believer needs to continually examine his life and make the necessary changes in order to stay focused on the divine priority.
4. Verse 60, The Obedience Entry: Correction in areas of weakness and errors requires immediate obedience in order to preserve dedication to the divine priority.
5. Verse 61, The Persecution Entry: Endurance in the face
of persecution requires adherence to God’s word.
7. Verse 63, The Friendship Entry: The basis for true friendship and fellowship between believers is a mutually shared reverence for God and application of His word to life.
8. Verse 64, The Study Entry: Genuine dedication to God is expressed by the constant desire to learn God’s word and utilize His grace resources in every area of life.
©Ron Wallace, http://www.biblefragrances.com.
Anyone is free to reproduce this material and distribute it,