1. Recognize the effects
of the antagonistic environment.
A. The physical
environment: loss of health, possessions or provider.
2. General welfare
provisions in the nation of Israel.
B. Doctrine of
D. Year of Jubilee: Lev. 25:8-17 (23-34)
E. No interest charged: Lev. 25:35-37
F. Indentured service should be viewed as employment. Lev. 25:39-41 with vs. 44-46
3. But giving to the poor is not automatically a good deed pleasing to God.
John 12:1-8; Mark 6:1-2; Mat. 26:6-13
4. True Christianity has 2 basic character expressions: James 1:27
A. Spiritual purity: keeping self unspotted from the world includes moral purity.
B. Moral generosity: remember the widows and orphans
5. Christian love involves material generosity directed to fellow believers. Romans 12:13
A. James 2:15-16
B. 1 John 3:17-18
6. Early Christian teaching concerning the poor. Galatians 2:10
A. Acts 2:41-47; 4:32-35
B. Not mandated. Just their way of dealing with it at that time.
C. Later, this “communal” arrangement is not found in the church or in teachings.
7. Moral responsibility for welfare recipients in the church.
A. 2 Thes. 3:7-12
B. 1 Tim. 5:3-16
8. The provision of welfare is extended to other churches. Acts 11:27-30
©Ron Wallace, http://www.biblefragrances.com.
Anyone is free to reproduce this material and distribute it,