PSALM 119 Verses 33-40
The letter He (hā) means WINDOW. It is used here to present the divine OUTLOOK on life.
Verse 33 - The Study Entry
1. Teach me: yArAh as a hiphil
imperative. The qal means to throw or to shoot.
Remember that the imperative Ė command to God Ė expresses humility dependence on Him; on His provisions and resources for experiencing eternal life blessings in time (here on earth).
2. The way of your statutes:
derek: + choq. This is a decree from Divine sovereignty.
3. And I shall observe it:
nAtsar, as seen before means to watch, guard, keep, focus on.
4. to the end:
`āqebh - ie., the end
of my life or as long as I live.
See: THE FOREVER ATTITUDE
Verse 34 Ė The Perception Entry
1. Give me understanding: biyn as a hiphil imperative. This amplifies study with the desire to comprehend spiritual reality as revealed by Godís truth.
2. And I shall observe your
law: Again, the verb is nAtsar. This refers to the meditation on and
evaluation of truth which should follow all doctrinal instruction.
3. And keep it: shAmar means to guard and to follow. It refers to application of that truth in every area of life.
4. With all my heart: the
total dedication to truth that true perception should produce.
Verse 35 - The pleasure entry: motivation for application in the specific areas of life.
1. Make me walk: dArak as a
hiphil imperative. The verb means to tread upon or march.
A. The hiphil stem is causative. It means to cause to walk. Thus, to lead or direct.
B. Direct my way of life.
Again the imperative communicates humility and the dedication
C. God does not MAKE the
believer walk, obey or follow truth. But He reminds and urges and
2. in the way of: nAthiybh
indicates the specific, physical paths for following divine design.
3. your commandments: mitswAh - the specific guidelines for spiritual and moral1iving.
4. God fulfills this desire by the two previous principles of growth - instruction and perception.
5. Because: kiy - reason for this dedication attitude. The reason he wants to continually walk in the way of Godís word is because it is PLEASANT.
6. I delight in it: chAphats - find pleasure in. that is, the specific overt way of life designed and mandated by God.
7. Motivation for obedience is the pleasure reality found in the Divine value system.
Verse 36 - The Priority Entry
1. Incline my heart: nAtAh as
a hiphil imperative. It means to influence or to motivate.
2. To your testimonies:
3. And not to gain: The word,
betas, indicates wrongful gain; usually acquired by dishonesty and violence.
4. Materialism lust (rich mindedness) wages a very real attack on believers. 2 Tim. 6.9-10; Luke 12.15 .
5. The only real protection is orientation to the character and plan of God through his testimonies. Principle found at Matthew 6:25-30.
Verse 37 - The Correction Entry
1. Turn away my eyes: `Abhar as a hiphil imperative. Again, the imperative of humility dependence on God. God provides the evaluation, conviction and resources to turn away from evil
2. From looking at: mental occupation with human viewpoint values.
3. vanity: shAwe - emptiness, worthlessness; That Which does not promote the viewpoint and plan of God. Usually this is some aspect of HUMAN logic or emotionalism, for that is what is attractive and tempting to a believer in pressure situations.
The TRUSTING believer relies
upon Godís word to provide the RIGHT answers to the pressure.
4. And revive me: chAyAh as a piel imperative again, has the idea of preserving alive, to let live, to restore to life. Here as at verse 25, and again at verse 40, itís preservation of abundant life blessings in an antagonistic environment. In humility dependence on God, he relies upon Him to maintain his fellowship experience by providing REMINDER factors for meditating on Godís word. Maintain (preserve) my quality of life.
5. in your ways: be + derek (plural) refers to Godís viewpoint and policy for our life.
Verse 38 - The Reverence Entry
1. Establish: qum as a hiphil
imperative means to raise up, establish, confirm.
3. to your servant: `ebhed
always expresses service humility.
5. This is the first time the fear of the LORD is mentioned in this Psalm.
A. The adjective occurs 2
times; verses 74, 79
6. See topic: THE FEAR OF THE LORD
Verse 39 - The Deliverance Entry
1. Turn away: `Abhar as a hiphil imperative means to take away, and once again expresses humility dependence on God.
2. my reproach: cherpAh - the scornf'ul antagonism directed personally against me.
3. which I dread: yAgor - the personal fear and pressure which plagues him. Cf. Job 3:25 and 9:28.
4. For: kiy Ė because.
Introduces the basis for humility dependence on God is the nature of Godís
Verse 40 - The Desire Entry
1. Behold: hinah - exclamation
of personal focus which expresses his dedication to God.
4. revive me: chAyAh -
maintain my quality of life
The only bona fide outlook on
life is the viewpoint of divine righteousness. And the only way to experience
abundant life blessings here on earth is by living according to those
SUMMARY OF THE VIEWPOINT FILE
Verse 33, The Study Entry: The divine viewpoint way of life is maintained based on learning and using Godís word.
Verse 34, The Perception Entry: Dedication to the divine value system is dependent on understanding Godís word.
Verse 35, The Pleasure Entry: True spiritual dedication finds pleasure in learning and following Godís word.
Verse 36, The Priority Entry: The functional believer places greater value in learning truth than on the pursuit of material possessions.
Verse 37, The Correction Entry: The believerís quality of life is maintained by recognizing and controlling areas of weakness.
Verse 38, The Reverence Entry: Consistent occupation with God is only possible through knowledge and application of His word.
Verse 39, The Deliverance Entry: Vindication of the believerís testimony comes from God, and is based on the standards of His word.
Verse 40, The Desire Entry: Consistency in experiencing abundant life blessing here on earth is based on maintaining a consistent dedication to God.
©Ron Wallace, http://www.biblefragrances.com.
Anyone is free to reproduce this material and distribute it,